Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 July 2013

It's the little things

Husband has two domestic duties; one is to mow the lawn, the other is to put the bins out.  Both of these activities need to happen once a week if we are to avoid any kind of strife/messiness/dubious pongs.  My chores, on the other hand, are numerous and varied and have no set timescale.  They just seem to be ongoing and ever-changing.  I won’t bore you with a list as I’m sure that you are very familiar with the minutiae of every day life involving kids, pets, a job, a hobby, other people’s hobbies, eating food, providing food/clean clothes/transportation/first aid – oh look, I’ve bored you with a list.  Sorry about that.

It struck me as I was heading into work the other day, paid work that is, not the kind of niff-naff and trivia that takes up most of my time (see above), just how much my brain has evolved into a running ticker-tape of ‘things to remember and do’.  As is customary on work mornings, I had got up 45 minutes earlier than everyone else to ensure that I could at least perform my basic ablutions and partially dress without external interference eg; Daughter, coolly appraising my outfit “mummy I haven’t seen THAT dress before” accusatory tone “is it new?” Me: “what this?  No darling, I’ve had it for ages…” Oh crap, one more person to lie to…  I had fed the cats and kids and then reminded Son and Daughter that it was non-uniform day and made sure they were dressed appropriately. 

I had also remembered that one child needed an envelope containing £2, a ‘fine’ for the non-uniform, and the other a bottle of wine for the school fair tombola.  This, the culmination of  a week that had involved two separate sports days (coloured t-shirts and PE kit required – different for each child – natch), a school trip (packed lunch, sun cream, sun hat), an assembly (another coloured t-shirt), and a guitar lesson (guitar!).  The one high point came at 7.30am when my marvelous childminder appeared and because their children attend the same school, I was able to quickly check the finer details before handing over the reins.

As I approached the BBC, dodging those annoying, early-riser tourists meandering about in Oxford St, my work-related thoughts (Mandela, royal baby) were interrupted by my stomach which loudly reminded me that I had not given it anything to eat yet.  When was it exactly that I began to refer to parts of my body as separate entities rather than a whole being? Probably when I became a mother because let’s face it, your body is not really your own after that; “bad cervix, only dilating 3cm after 36 hours of labour – how could you!”.

Nipping into Starbucks (boo hiss, tax avoiders etc – but any port in a storm) I remembered that I hadn’t managed to get to my Taekwon-do class the night before so therefore hadn’t burned my full quota of calories that week.  #Fail.  As I reach for my purse my hand lightly brushes my newly-acquired mini pot-belly. Damn.  There is nothing remotely healthy at breakfast time in a coffee shop – fact.  Reader, I got an almond croissant anyway because by then I was feeling all rebellious and as if I’d already done a day’s work.

The journalist and author Daisy Waugh has a new book out called ‘I don’t know why she bothers’, apparently a guide to guilt-free motherhood for modern women. Daisy I try, I really, really try! I would love to be all laid-back but keep on being overtaken by events, dear boy, events.  I don’t want to be a worry-wort, all creased forehead and endless lists.  I couldn’t be a ‘pushy parent’ if I tried – time and motivation severely lacking there I’m afraid, so it’s not like I’m trying too hard.  I actively discourage my kids from attending after-school clubs as I can’t be bothered going back and forth every night of the week picking them up.  Homework gets done quickly, just the basics, no more, no less.  And if I could exist in a bubble then all that would be lovely.  But I can’t, and because I can’t, I’m party to conversations that go like this: “yes we do about 15 minutes of maths every night, B can’t afford to fall behind…” (B is just six by the way), or “sorry we can’t do Wednesdays as S does ballet, swimming and violin, all back to back). I’m tired just listening to this.

So as we approach the end of term (hurrah), my resolve for September is as follows: keep on making lists – inevitable unfortunately given just how hectic life is, keep getting up super-early on work mornings just so I feel vaguely in control of the day ahead, and remember to smile at my kids just a little more often.  Because as much as death and taxes are the only certainties, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to look back on my life and wish I’d spent more time remembering tombola prizes.

And finally, I’m not going to sweat the small stuff – mini pot-belly going on?  That’s what spanx were invented for. Fact.


No comments:

Post a Comment