Powered By Blogger

Monday 16 September 2013

Baby Bumps

Remember that feeling of amazement when the Duchess of Cambridge appeared from the innards of the Lindo Wing, proudly clutching her new little baby and looking, to be frank, still pregnant?  I could swear that there was a collective gasp from all of us mothers watching when we clocked that even Kate, perfect, gorgeous, never-puts-a-foot-wrong, fashionista babe with her ever glossy mane and sylph-like figure, was a bit like the rest of us after all.  I bet if she’d been standing at a bus stop, some dopey but well meaning fellow traveller would have offered her a seat.

My own post-partum humiliation was visited upon me as I stood in a queue in Boots buying nipple cream or something just as ghastly.  Husband stood to one side with 5-day-old Son in the pram as I suffered the indignity of the woman at the till asking me when my due date was.  I just remember blurting out “I had it, it’s over there” and pointing numbly at the pushchair.  I don’t really recall much else of that episode but I quite possibly burst into tears.  Up until that point I’d probably been feeling that I was holding it all together remarkably well, having managed to get up, shower, dress and make it out of the house, but that one misguided comment pierced my fragile sense of self like an arrow, such was the overwhelming feeling of failure at my early attempts at motherhood.

Any fears about how Kate might be coping were safely laid to rest when she stepped out for her first royal engagement the other night.  ‘My flippin’ God’ I breathed as I took in her silver, shimmering column dress, high sparkling heels, relatively normal sized boobs and TOTALLY FLAT STOMACH.  She looked, to be frank, like the perfect MILF (look it up) and behaved like a normal, smiley, contented person, not someone who had given birth just 6 weeks previously.  There’s no way on earth that someone would mistakenly offer up their seat on the tube for that!

Which brings me nicely to my second post-partum moment of humiliation (yes you’ve probably guessed that I was on such good terms with my baby-weight that we couldn’t bear to be parted for quite some time), which took place some months after the birth of Daughter.  Son was safely at nursery so I succumbed to requests from my work colleagues to bring the new baby into the office so they could all have a cuddle.

I duly arrived at Television Centre and found my car parking space that a kind friend had organised.  Bundling up Daughter in her pushchair I wound my way down the familiar corridors, past the beloved but grotty tea-bars, feeling the slight apprehension that comes when you haven’t been somewhere for a long time.  I did a quick tour of the vast, open plan BBC newsroom while the going was good, but when feeding time approached I retreated to my old office of the world affairs unit where if she started yelling I knew there was a sound-proof radio booth into which I could scurry.

Daughter was delightedly passed around the world affairs correspondents and producers who all cooed and fussed in the appropriate manner, and to my relief, she managed not to be sick on any of them.  I wondered what I had been so worried about.  I was just getting ready to leave when another, esteemed correspondent who despite being a household name shall, for the purposes of this post, remain anonymous, swept in, fresh from the set of the One o’clock news.  After a quick ‘how are things’ chat, they gestured towards my stomach and coyly (but loudly) asked “so is that baby number 3 in there then?

Reader, the silence was deafening.  Never have so many computer screens and documents been examined so forensically by so many people, all of whom longing to snigger, all of whom admirably managing not to. But did I crumble?  Did I burst into tears?  Did I heck.  By this time I was quite resigned to the fact that yes, to some I probably did still look a bit pregnant, but with a baby and a toddler to look after, quite frankly it was the least of my worries.  I finished tucking Daughter in and turned to face my accuser. “What, this?” I asked, staring them coolly straight in the eyes “no, I’m just a bit fat”.  And with that I swept out, wearing my dignity like a (maternity sized) cloak.  Reader, even though I say it myself, I was magnificent.

 

1 comment: